Wednesday, March 3, 2010

McCurry

Steve McCurry was a really famous photographer, born in Philadelphia in 1950, graduated cum laude from the College of Arts. McCurry themes are to take pictures of human struggle and joy and he is exceptionally good at capturing these themes. I found that he uses a color that relates to the picture, when I say that I mean that you can capture, what he wants you to feel in the picture like if the theme of the picture is sadness he will play with the colors and make it look like the appropriate theme. Steve McCurry’s favorite subjects were usually taking pictures of war, dead people and little boys playing around and having fun. “People will forget your camera and the soul will drift up into view." I find this quote of McCurry’s really powerful and amazing because it’s stating that if you’re patient enough, people will eventually forget that you’re standing there with you camera and they will go back to their daily routine and then when you take the picture it will be natural like a normal day, in the picture.

The reason I chose this picture is, because it shows how difficult life is for that child, it makes me feel sad, but, it also makes me feel grateful for what I have. Since the focus is mainly on the boy you can tell that the destruction and wars of the city have affected this boy. Its hurt this boy physically, emotionally and mentally, because he can no longer walk or do anything by himself. It also shows me that the place he is living in shouldn’t be that way, children are supposed to live in a safe community, environment, but with the wars and damage in this city, I don’t think this boy is safe in there or has adequate facility to be taken well care of.

Kabul, Afghanistan, 1992

No comments:

Post a Comment